10 Oct 2013
- Written by Tri-State Defender Newsroom
- Hits: 665
Influenza vaccine is now available at all of the Shelby County Health Department (SCHD) clinics. It is not too early to receive the vaccination.
Annual vaccination against influenza is recommended for everyone six months and older, including school-aged children, who want to reduce the risk of becoming ill or transmitting it to others. The vaccine is especially recommended for the following persons who are at increased risk for severe complications associated with influenza:
• Pregnant women
• People 50 years of age and older
• People of any age with chronic medical conditions, including asthma and other lung diseases, heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes
• People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
• People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from influenza, including: Health care workers, household contact of persons at high risk for complications from influenza and household contacts and caregivers of children less than six months of age.
Some tips to help protect against the spread of influenza include:
• Clean: Properly wash hands frequently with warm, soapy water; disinfect surfaces.
• Cover: Cover cough and sneeze into a disposable tissue or arm.
• Contain: Stay home from school/work when sick to keep germs from spreading.
If an individual experiences flu-like symptoms, they should contact their health care provider. Symptoms include: fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or greater; headache, fatigue, cough, muscle aches, and sore throat.
Cost for influenza vaccine, now available in all public health clinics, is:
• Free for Tenncare clients (bring your Tenncare card)
• $20 for uninsured or under-insured children
• $20 for totally uninsured adults
• $30 for children with insurance that pays for vaccine
• $30 for adults with any medical insurance at all
• $45 for hi-dose – for seniors over the age of 65, billed to Medicare
No appointment is necessary. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday unless otherwise specified.
• Galloway Clinic, 757 Galloway, 901-222-9750
• Hickory Hill Clinic, 6590 Kirby Center Cove, 901-222-9910
• Millington Clinic, 8225 Highway 51 N., 901-222-9940
• Immunization Clinic, 814 Jefferson Ave, Room 216, 901-222-9331
• Shelby Crossing Clinic, 6170 Macon Rd., 901-222-9800
• Southland Mall Clinic, 1215 Southland Mall-Inside Mall, 901-222-9828 (M-F, 9-5)
• Cawthon Clinic, 1000 Haynes, 901-222-9866
• Collierville Clinic, 167 Washington, 901-222-9900, Tue. Th., 8- 4:30 p.m.