Links Host Forum on Human Trafficking
- Category: Atlanta
- Published on Friday, 02 November 2012 10:54
- Written by The Atlanta Daily World
- Hits: 7811
- Last Updated on 02 November 2012
- Hits: 12
The Buckhead Cascade City Chapter of the Links, Inc. will host a public forum and luncheon to address human trafficking and educate attendees about this problem in Atlanta. The event will be held Saturday, November 10, from 11:30am to 1:30pm at the Piedmont Driving Club, 1215 Piedmont Ave. NE.
Moderated by former Mayor of Atlanta and Link member, Shirley Franklin, the Forum will explore address the tragedy of modern day slavery which afflicts more than 20 million people around the world.
While human trafficking has been identified as the fastest-growing criminal industry in the world, Atlanta has been identified as a major transportation hub for trafficking young women and one of 14 U.S. cities with the highest levels of sex trafficking of children.
With the recent announcement made by President Obama of several new initiatives aimed at ending trafficking nationwide, the forum will engage the community in a dialogue around eradicating sex trafficking of children in Atlanta and address much-needed efforts to help the survivors.
Forum panelists include:
• Lisa Williams, Founder/Director, Living Water for Girls
• Deborah Richardson, EVP of the National Center for Human & Civil Rights
• Nekia Hackworth, Asst. US Attorney, Northern District of GA, Criminal Division
• Nina R. Hickson, former Fulton County Juvenile Court Judge
Tickets are available for $60 by calling (404) 218-8351 (limited seating available).