City of Atlanta Opens All Swimming Pools, Cooling Stations to Keep Atlanta Citizens Cool
- Category: Atlanta
- Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 07:23
- Written by The Atlanta Daily World
- Hits: 695
Cooling stations will be open this weekend from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. with a possible opening on Monday depending on the weather conditions.
The cooling stations are located at:
3201 M. L. King Jr. Drive, S.W.
Atlanta, Georgia 30311
J. C. Burdine
215 Lakewood Way, S.E
Atlanta, Georgia 30315
477 Windsor Street, S.W.
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
Georgia Hill Neighborhood Center
250 Georgia Avenue, S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
365 Cleveland Avenue, S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30354
Saturday and Sunday will bring the worst of the heat with actual temperatures reaching the triple digits for at least two hours each afternoon. The Heat Index temperatures are also expected to enter into the “Danger” category of the National Weather Service’s Heat Index Chart.
Here are some helpful tips regarding extreme heat:
• Stay indoors in air-conditioned spaces as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun.
• Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothes that cover as much skin as possible.
• Familiarize yourself with the medical conditions that can result from over-exposure to heat, including heat exhaustion and heat stroke to help lessen health threats and harm.
• Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. Use a buddy system when working in extreme heat, and take frequent breaks.
• Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
• Make sure pets have plenty of water and shade, be careful to not over-exercise them, and keep them indoors when it's extremely hot.
Closely monitor a local radio station, TV station or NOAA Weather Radio for the latest information on excessive heat watches and warnings.
For more information about the City of Atlanta, please visit http://www.atlantaga.gov or watch City Channel 26. Follow the City of Atlanta on Facebook and Twitter @City_of_Atlanta. Follow Mayor Reed on Facebook and Twitter @Kasim Reed
The following are comments from the readers. In no way do they represent the view of atlantadailyworld.com.
You must register with a valid email to post comments. Only your Member ID will be posted with the comments.
Registered users sign in here:
Become a Registered User