09 Nov 2011
- Written by Tri-State Defender Newsroom
The birth of a newspaper, like the birth of a child, is an event of great importance. Just as the parents who center in their new-born child all their hopes and ambitions that he will become an outstanding citizen who will contribute; so a newspaper is the expression of the desires and needs of a community.
A newspaper is only as great as its readers make it. Its strength comes from the energy pumped into it by the people. Its muscles and bones are the determination of the people; and its hear is the conscience of God-fearing men and women.
The job of a militant newspaper is more than just printing news. It gathers, shapes and molds public opinion. It searches out the truth and brings justice to the innocent and punishment to the unjust by focusing the glaring light of the printed word.
A free people can only express their will through the organ of a free press.
It is with great pride that we announce to you the birth of the TRI-STATE DEFENDER. You, the people, have chosen its name. It symbolizes the fulfillment of your hopes and dreams. Into the making of it has been put the finest brains and material obtainable.
TRI-STATE DEFENDER’s 10 POINT PROGRAM
1. To broadcast to the world the achievements of all the citizens it serves.
2. To give opportunity for expression to every man, woman, and child.
3. To bring you all the news in the highest tradition of the Free American press.
4. To promote and protect the constitutional guarantee and rights of all citizens, regardless of race, creed, or color.
5. To uphold the principle of equality of opportunity in employment, education, politics, and all fields of human endeavor.
6. To defend America from all enemies, foreign or domestic.
7. To join hands with all citizens, regardless of creed or color, who wish to develop better human relations and to advance the principles of American Democracy.
8. To help provide decent homes and schools for all citizens.
9. To promote programs, projects, and all activities which will advance the general welfare.
10. To uphold those Christian principles which undergird our republic.
Here is your child. It needs your support, your guidance; and most of all your prayers that it will become the dignified, strong adult to serve you and to carry out your dreams.