- Category: News
20 Jan 2011
- Written by Tri-State Defender Newsroom
Project Single Moms™ (PSM) is an advocacy and empowerment movement mobilizing single moms to become the change they desire in their lives. PSM is managed by My Daughter’s Keeper, Inc., a national self-development organization based in New Jersey.
In Memphis, 48 percent of children live in single, female-headed families. Single mothers in Memphis have a median annual income of $18,029.
Project Single Moms members have access to a special fund for single moms called “A Hand Up™ Fund, which offers temporary financial assistance to single moms for emergency and empowerment purposes without obligation to repay. Membership is free and open to single moms from all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
The grassroots movement is currently serving single moms in 44 states and has also attracted the interest and participation of single moms from 11 countries, including Australia, Malaysia, Ghana and China.
“Through the PSM movement, our goal is to organize and mobilize single moms across the country in an effort to dispel myths and stereotypes held by mainstream society as well as to advocate for programs and services which will offer single moms in America a hand up and not a hand out,” says Stephanie M. Clark, founder & CEO, My Daughter’s Keeper, Inc. and National Director for Project Single Moms.
“This is tremendous opportunity for single moms across Memphis to embrace the Possibilities, own their Purpose and become a woman of Power!” says Nicole Gates, Local Coordinator for PSM-Memphis.
“We are especially interested in getting our single moms from diverse backgrounds active in the movement.”
Project Single Moms’ movement objectives include:
• empowering single moms to pursue their dreams and passions of obtaining homeownership and starting businesses;
• educating single moms by identifying and creating opportunities to further advance in their education;
• engaging single moms in movement building and advocacy work to influence, change and create policy on a local, state and federal level that will help enhance the lives of single moms;
• energizing single moms by encouraging pursuit of healthier lifestyles for themselves and their children; equipping single moms with information, tools and access to people and opportunities to help them accomplish their personal and professional goals;
• enhancing the perspectives of single moms that through focused-efforts and hard work they can live the life they have always imagined.
(For more information, visit www.projectsinglemoms.com.)