08 Feb 2014
- Written by Tri-State Defender Newsroom
- Hits: 630
The Owen College History Committee, which has been on a two-year mission, met recently at St. John Baptist Church to finalize plans for the product yielded by its efforts.
The product – "The Legacy of Owen College" – is now ready for its premiere. The public is invited to attend the event on Feb. 22 in the Dorothy Harris Lounge of the Alma Hanson Building on the campus of The LeMoyne-Owen College.
"The Legacy of Owen College" records the history of the two-year college, which was founded by the Tennessee Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention and named for the Rev. S. A. Owen, pastor of Metropolitan Baptist Church. Located on the corner of Vance and Orleans, the college opened in 1954 and merged with LeMoyne College in 1968.
What did the Owen College History Committee find during its two-year research journey? The contents of "Legacy" speak the answer. It features photographs, graduation lists, newspaper articles, college publications and personal reflections.
Committee members also wrote essays on the library, faculty, basketball team, student activities, music program and the merger from which evolved The LeMoyne-Owen College.