30 Apr 2013
- Written by Tri-State Defender Newsroom
- Hits: 703
Parents interested in enrolling their 4-year-old children in a prekindergarten (Pre-K) program in the unified school district for the 2013-14 school year are urged to apply as early as possible. Applications are available now through May 17.
Pre-K classes will be offered at select elementary schools across Memphis and Shelby County and at partner locations. The Pre-K program is a free school-readiness initiative designed to help children be adequately prepared for kindergarten. Priority is given to families who meet low-income guidelines.
To enroll, children must:
· Reside within Shelby County,
· Turn four years old on or before August 31 (one month earlier than in previous years as governed by the State of Tennessee),
· Be screened to determine eligibility.
Screenings began Monday (April 29) and will continue through May 17. Parents should contact their school of choice for specific days and times.
"For decades, research has proven that a high-quality Pre-K program increases a child's chance for academic success during the school years and beyond," said Carolyn Harvey, Ed.D., director of the Pre-K program for Memphis City Schools.
"The unified district offers a rigorous, innovative Pre-K curriculum. Several classes are now equipped with iPads for student use and some provide interactive Smart Board technology. We also offer effective ESL (English as a Second Language) instruction for our Spanish speaking students."
Pre-K applications are available in both English and Spanish at:
· Select schools where Pre-K classes are offered,
· The Pre-K Office at 3232 Birchfield Drive (Luci E. Campbell Elementary School),
· Community partner sites listed on the Pre-K Web site: www.mcsk12.net/prek/.
On screening day, parents must bring:
· Proof of income (very important),
· A certified birth certificate (plus one copy),
· Two proofs of residency,
· The child's social security card, and
· The child's health and immunization records.
(For more information about Pre-K enrollment in the unified school district, call the Pre-K Office at 901- 416-3450 or visit www.mcsk12.net/prek/ for application and screening details.)